Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

One of my favorite things to eat in the world is rice krispie treats. In fact I think I had them one year for my birthday in place of a cake. I’m not the biggest fan of pies or cakes or cookies.  But I could eat a whole pan of rice krispie treats by myself, in one sitting. We don’t need to go around spreading that rumor to everyone though! 

If you like cake batter, these guys are even better.
The original recipe I got this from called for yellow cake mix, I had a box of devils food chocolate and decided to go with that instead.
Basically you begin with the original rice krispies recipe. Melt butter,  add the marshmallows, once they begin to melt, add in the cake mix.  Stir until completely melted and combined.
When everything is melted add in the sprinkles.
Stir in the krispie cereal.  Then press the finished product into a buttered pan.
The most important step, eat what is left in the pot while you wait for the pan of treats to cool. Okay, maybe it’s not the most important part, but it’s one of my favorites.
I realize this isn't the greatest picture. You try holding a camera steady while also trying to stuff your face. See, not as easy as you thought!

I had a little too much fun with setting up pictures when I made these. Rice krispies just do that to me!
Now go out and share the love!

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

Recipe adapted from  Howsweeteats

original recipe on the back of the cereal box

3 tablespoons butter

1 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows

1/2 cup chocolate cake mix

6 cups rice krispies cereal

1 1.75-ounce container of sprinkles

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows. Stir until they begin to melt, adding in cake mix one spoonful at a time so it’s combined. Sprinkle in half of the sprinkles and mix. Stir in cereal so it is completely coated with marshmallow mixture.  Press into a buttered baking dish (any size will do) and top with remaining sprinkles. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting. I find spraying a knife with nonstick spray helps to cut them.


2 comments: